- It's considered an almost honorable way to waste time.
- People assume you must be brainy--even if you're not.
- Try playing checkers without people snickering at you.
- You'll lose weight by not eating, since chess demands an obsession to it to the exclusion of everything else.
- You can add it to your LinkedIn profile and watch the job offers roll in.
- You can't possibly lose as much money as playing poker.
- You'll gain self-confidence by beating homeless people in the park.
- Chess is popular in jail, so you'll be ready if you go.
- Chess gives your brain a thorough workout, since you'll be memorizing thousands of openings, middlegames, and endgames.
- Girls admire guys who play chess, even though they hate the game.
Buy my short story collection focused on chess: Queen of the Chess Cult and Other Stories
Buy my novel, written mostly in cafes: Murder at the Library Conference: