Compare this list with the Bestselling (New) Books from 1900-1999.
In the last few decades of the 20th century, many of the hottest-selling new books were of the thriller/mystery variety, not traditionally thought of as great books.
But looking through the list of used books most in demand, at a glance they are surely of a much higher literary quality. I'm seeing far more "great books" on the used list than on the new one.
For example, the Top 10 Bestselling Used books:
1. John Grisham, The Testament
2. Thomas Harris, Hannibal
3. Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, Assassins
4. Terry Brooks, Star Wars: Episode 1, The Phantom Menace
5. Michael Crichton, Timeline
6. Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis
7. Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye, Apollyon
8. Stephen King, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
9. Danielle Steel, Irresistible Forces